Thursday 17 July 2014

Natures Own Antidotes

Nature has always drawn my attention from a small child, how it hurts & heals.  Think of the stinging nettle & a nearby companion plant the dock leaf - well at least in England.  If you get stung there, there is always a dock leaf (Rumex) at hand to spit on & rub in to relieve the itching.  However when my kids get stung here, no such luck, I usually hope I have some pawpaw lotion in my bag.

Having just had a bout of something, viral or food reaction which ended up with my immune system compromised, I still want to heal naturally.  It could have been an accumulation of salicylates or just 'that time of year' that hit me, but I felt awful with a sore throat & chesty cough.  I went hard with chicken broths, raw garlic, colloidal silver & zinc supplement.  The raw garlic was I think the most effective in loosening the congestion.  I also gargled bicarb of soda & salt for the sore throat to reduce inflammation.  I used to always take honey & lemon, but since being sugar-free was never sure that Rice Malt Syrup has the same mucus thinning properties as honey, & I now clearly react to lemons.  In fact I'd had a herbal tea the day before the onset which I realised after had lemon in & my lips began to tingle & blister.


So what are the ones I want to have?  & Why?  Which can I use the plant as-is versus which would it be easier to have a ready-made tincture in store - or which better to just buy versus my gardening effort (or lack of green-finger in some instances).



  1. Garlic :  Infection fighter, immune booster , natural antibiotic, antifungal, antiparasitic - all round superherb!
  2. Lemons :  Cleansing, antibacterial, constipation relief
  3. Ginger :  Immune booster, anti-inflamatory & pain relief, loosens congestion, anti-nausea aid, prevent motion sickness, aids digestion
  4. Lavender :  Anti-inflamatory, calming - good for stress relief/insomnia/headaches, lice prevention, soothes inflammation, insect repellent
  5. Chamomile :  Relaxant / antispasmodic, cooling, Anti-histamine, promotes digestion
  6. Aloe Vera :  Digestive disorders, soothing - burns, cuts & abrasions, assists skin healing
  7. Echinacea :  Lymph mover, immune booster & wards off colds
  8. Peppermint :  Eases intestinal cramps, cools irritation & relieves itching
  9. Thyme :  Cough relief, insect repellent to cabbage
  10. Rosemary :  Lice prevention, circulation improver, ease muscle stiffness
  11. Sage :  Insect repellent, mild antiseptic, relieves inflammation

I already have lemons, aloe vera, peppermint, rosemary & thyme doing well in the garden, but now need more effort on the garlic - its yet to do anything.  We get through so much garlic, I wonder if I could grow enough however.  I will endeavour to get some lavender & sage in there.  Chamomile & echinacea will be best in tincture or tea form.






3 comments:

  1. Next time your kids come a cropper with nettles, harvest those nasty stinging brutes and turn them into a most healthful cup of nettle tea! Truly. Nettles are the most amazing powerhouses of nutrition which makes up for them being such ghastly nasty plants in the garden. I am planning to cultivate an area of stinging nettles to try and try for my own tea. Once dried or blanched they no longer sting either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly the ones we keep encountering are on a busy intersection... for dogs! When we're out bush next or visiting you will be sure to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dog wee tea sounds a little less tasty. ;) I've not planted them yet but I have a kilo of the dried stuff.
    You can have as many dock weeds as you would like too. It's all through the grass that we occasionally glorify with the name "lawn". ;)

    ReplyDelete