Wednesday 29 May 2013

My Kinda Knowledge

My reading up on sugar, namely from Sweet Poison, enabled me to know the answer to a trivia question last night at the pub!  "What gland produces insulin?" - the Pancreas was my answer, my team mates however disagreed so I was overruled 2:1 & I was damn right. Thankfully they didn't have views on the Queens of the Stone Age, as that was my other correct contribution to the evening.  Next time I shall have to be more persuasive about my knowledge on bodily functions...

I do feel I've been doing a lot of reading lately & quite overwhelmed by the newfound knowledge, Toxic Oil in particular.  I do, however, remember feeling this way a year ago when I read Sweet Poison, but now most of that comes as second nature.

As ever a little knowledge raises more questions & a thirst for answers.  So I'm keen to find more sources & explanations:  mostly about sugar, more about oil, what they do to us & definitely more about homemade GF bread.  Good books, good blogs, good recipes & good breadmaker reviews!  Suggestions welcome.

Just be mindful my reading platter is pretty full already with Toxic Oil, Fat Chance, Fed Up plus The Failsafe Cookbook... & for desert Keith Richards biography!

And as I type, I'm proving out some of that newly read material, there's a trial dinner experiment going on the oven right now... cooking chips with Supafry, yes animal fat... I have never done this in my life!  I'm sure its what I grew up on, before vegetable oil became the norm, but have never used it myself.  Sure I've eaten both lard & dripping at my Nans house way back, but this is a whole new adventure.  Although I've been partial to buying oven chips from the freezer section & just whacking them in the oven at times, mostly the last few years I like to make wedges or chip shapes cut myself & have just used olive oil, occasionally seasoned with herbs & salt.  So to go the whole hog of a deep fat fryer, the smell & danger that brings to my house is off limits right now.  My normal method is to pre-nuke spuds anyway once chipped before sticking in oven, so this is what I'm trying hoping that will soften them enough to soak up the fat & give the desired flavour.  I'll venture into limiting microwave use another time... too many new things on the go right now, its hard to quit every convenience factor of the 21st century.

The Verdict:  Exterior crunch & interior softness perfect, taste...ok, but for the grown-ups in the house a little greasy.  I think akin to adjusting back to full-fat milk at first.  Maybe I just used too much fat or perhaps I could combine with olive oil to be nearer the taste we are used to.  They certainly crisped up better than with straight olive oil.  The kids took to them fine. Chips are just chips to the non-decerning palette!  The roasting pan was easy to clean & the oven didn't smoke as I feared it might, so all-in-all a successful attempt.

The Process:  Peel & slice spuds.  Rinse & microwave for 8mins.  Add 5mm slither of Supafry to roasting pan, heat in oven.  Drain spuds & add to roasting pan, turn to coat in oil.  Cook for approx 30mins at 200C or until golden (turning halfway).





2 comments:

  1. Make sure to to heat your fat before putting the chips in. Have been eating chips in tallow for over a year now and they rock. I still remember how strangely satiating my first serving was. Now, if I eat chips cooked in vegetable oil the words "JUNK FOOD" keep echoing in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heated first so would liquify, then tossed the chips in to coat. When I told the other half they were cooked in animal fat, he was like "Isn't that against the grain of eating polyunsaturated fats?" -YEP sure is, he's not been listening to me has he? I feel naughty for going against what we're led to believe is healthy, but so good for bucking the trend & going with what feels right & more importantly tastes YUM! Never one to follow fashion, I'm a renegade kinda gal & start my own trends. So lets DUMP the JUNK!! Now I need to find a local chippie that cooks in animal fats for that effortless factor when needs must.

    ReplyDelete