Sunday 19 May 2013

Party On !!

Its been a long week & the next is looking even longer :( so I've baked a few treats for us to get me through it... I find the process therapeutic & when it involves the kids it can be fun too.  I like to see them enjoy the results & know its not doing them the harm that processed goods or those containing refined sugars can.

On days like those its good to see them accepting the sugar-free ways I've introduced to our home, however on days like today it becomes more apparent that kids just love treats & its down to me to be the moderator, they "like the old me" have no control over the sweet delights.

Today we had a toddler party to attend & fair play to my friend she eats very wholesome, from the land, far better than I so there were plenty of healthy options there, she'd catered for the gluten free & coeliacs .... but as ever a kids party is not a kids party without cake & sweets so where did my munchkins head first!! Jelly snakes, sweet arrow root biccies & choc topped caramel slice.  I guided them to make healthy choices - yummy homemade soup, corn chips, cheese, humous, olives, all of which they love (given no other options!) but not today with the lure of sugar in their sights.

I know! I try to think its only a day & parties are the exception I make, but this is the second party in a week, plus there was a kinder activity which, fair to say was just an excuse to eat more party food.

When it comes to "lolly-bags" which in my day were just called "party bags" I just can't see the need to put in more sugar to continue the party effects further.  For my own kids parties the most I've ever put in was one chocolate each, I scour dollar shops, Kmart & Coles for small booty & split-able multi-packs to make it appealing to them.  Usually balloons, pencils, notepads, curly straws, themed novelties & stickers.

Anyway ranting aside, I just hope the kids learn moderation & start making more healthier choices in future. I eeked out the lollies 1-a-day from last weeks bag (after I'd binned half of them).  The kids fully understood these were not to be eaten all at once & not the norm.

So back to baking, I gave the Anzacs another go - they tasted just as good but I'd used a new baking tray (bigger, but thinner) & they spread more & came out thinner.  The other thing I tried was the first thing from a new ebook I'm excited about that I bought this week - Hungry Tums...Sweet As.  It was a successful (taste-wise) attempt at the Orange & Almond Syrup Cake, it came out a little more dense than I expected, but I think that might have been the GF flour & silicon case into the mix.  I chose a square silicon & slightly larger mould rather than the suggested 22cm round tin.  I also added a small amount of Chia seeds to kind of create a citrus poppyseed look/taste, just for experimentations sake, unfortunately the slice I've pictured doesn't show them to their best effect.  I look forward to trying more recipes from the enticing book written by another fructose-free devotee, whose coincidentally also only been on it almost a year like myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment