Tuesday 21 May 2013

Pesto Prompt

Perusing the facebook posts I see I've omitted to follow-up with my homemade Pesto outcome.  My memory really is shocking at the moment!  Today I left the house in my usual mad dash, trying to wrangle a toddler or two, to make an appointment.  After said appointment, I nipped to the bank, or shop as I told my daughter to get money, as it was a hole in their wall, she interpreted that as we'd been to buy money... anyway I digress.... so I thought I have time to pop back home & walk with the dog to kinder instead of driving there & waiting in the car.  I opened the door to the smell of rather yummy, but very strong scent of Bolognese cooking on the hob.  Yes it was still sat there simmering away, reducing as I would like but had not intended at that time when not present.  Ooops!!  So had I not given pooch a thought & driven straight to kinder instead the whole house would have probably been reduced to ashes.  My memory, you'll please have to excuse, is not what it was.  Distraction has become my middle name.

So to the Basil Pesto - I followed the recipe straight from Toxic Oil.  For convenience I used pre-grated parmesan.  The recipe produced just the right amount to fit in an empty Sacla jar.  It tasted more garlicky than the shop bought one & not as oily.  It was so quick to make, much quicker than checking ingredients list whilst shopping.  The kids loved helping, but didn't even question the switch when it was served up on their pasta the next day.  The other half however said it was nicer & had great texture, I have to agree. Yummy!

Each time I've used some I just add a little more Olive Oil to cover the top.  I'm hoping it will last a week sealed in the jar if kept refrigerated.  That's about the norm for us to get through that amount.  David says it freezes well, so I will make a bigger batch next time & do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment