Wednesday 5 June 2013

Fed Up & Fearing Forty

I'm having some OMG moments of late... firstly with increasingly hard to cope with behaviours from my 4yo, secondly discovering "Fed Up" books by Sue Dengate & potential correlation to former.... & lastly friends OMG fears of becoming 40... For me I have no fear but essentially aspirations - to be the fittest & healthiest I can, to be happy, looking onwards & upwards to the rest of my life & continued adventures with family in tow.

Prior to having kids I thought my health was generally ok, with the exception of effects of eating wheat which I discovered 6 years ago.  So with that avoided & the arrival of kids I was all set or so I thought, but boy do they take it out of you!  My energy levels often flagged but since going fructose free I'm on an even keel.  As I approach the big 40 I want to be as healthy as I can to keep up with them & give them the best I can.  Somewhere along the way in my food investigations (& behavioural strategies) I came across Fed Up & it triggered that there maybe some answers in there to help my little one & potentially me along the way.  I'm devouring the book right now, so will get back to some bigger blogs & recipe trials later.  The opening chapters are hitting home & I've made contact with recommended dieticians in hopes I'm barking up the right tree regards potential food intolerances.  To me it makes sense, the additives & chemicals in our post 1960's world must be having effects on all of us.  I feel there will be some correlation between the Failsafe Eliminations & Toxic Oil/Sweet Poison avoidances.  I hope so else this will be one hell of a change in eating habits!!

This will be hard, I have no illusions, however as I'm never one to resort to medicine before determining cause & prefer healthy alternatives where possible, I'd rather extremely change our food first.  In my recent discoveries I'm looking at food now as fuel whilst still trying to have fun with & enjoy it.  If its fuel then we want the right fuel in our tank to get optimum performance from it.  I liken wrong fuel to putting Petrol into a Diesel Engine where it causes internal damage & sluggish performance.


So although I've been a little 'fed up' of late I'm hoping that this is the beginning of an enlightening journey for us.  I'll take the steering wheel & try to pacify the backseat driver. 

PS. In case you are wondering I have 6 months to determine what ingredients will be in my birthday cake!



Fed Up: Understanding How Food Affects Your Child and What You Can Do About it


No comments:

Post a Comment