Monday 23 September 2013

Back to Baking Again

Got home from our weeks holiday to discover a power outage which meant 2 thawed fridge/freezers... & failure to record my soaps!  The latter I can catch up on via internet. The former was more frustrating as lost so much food & in particular some of my baking.  So its been all systems go in my kitchen again getting back to baking... & basics... been on Failsafe Elimination for 10 days trying to clear out some of the holiday food challenges... & subsequent symptoms.

Now the travel & birthdays are well & truly over, I'm baking with a vengeance.  So following this Failsafe Elimination since we returned from holidays means thats there been a lot of back to basics cooking, & with birthdays over the convenience go-to's which included sugar are O-U-T OUT!  For the first couple of weeks of Failsafe I relented a little on the sugar for the kids so I could grab a couple of packet items to help time-wise.  Now those are off limits & they are back to dextrose & RMS only added sweeteners.  The limited access to those two commodities in the UK left me a little rusty as I was hesitant to bake anything than my trusty oat bars or shortbread whilst there, but since back in Australia & even when away in Port Douglas I used RMS to make Oat Bars & Anzacs.  I have also adapted an old veggie muffin recipe & a cheesecake to be Failsafe, plus made some cup cakes for party replacements.  I've also experimented with natural food colourings for the birthday cake, & made it sugar-free.


I finally received my copy of Friendly Food so I'll be adapting by trial & error some sugar-free versions of any sweet dishes in there too.

I'm happy to see that Sweet Poison is now available in a UK version, which should mean on future visits glucose only sweeteners should be more readily available, well if the great British public take note of what David Gillespie has to say & stores come on board as they have in Australia.

Here is my Oat Bar recipe I'd like to share with you :

2 cups Rolled Oats
1 cup GF SR Flour
1/2 tsp Guar Gum
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Poppy Seeds
2 tsp Psyllium Husk
60g Butter (Unsalted)
2 tbsp Rice Malt Syrup
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda

Mix together dry ingredients (except bicarb).  In a pan melt butter, add RMS, bring to boil, turn off, add bicarb, mix well till fizzes up.  Quickly add foam to to dry ingredients & mix well. Spread into a buttered baking tray. Press flat. Bake for 15min at 150C. 

Score when remove from the oven into bars. Leave in tray until cooled, then snap & store.  I find they last a couple of days in the cupboard or much longer if I freeze & the kids have no complaints eating them cold!






No comments:

Post a Comment